Plant Information Management System
October 2010 - July 2012
Stanwell Corporation Limited is a Queensland Government owned power generator with a portfolio of coal fired thermal, gas turbine and hydro electric generation plant.
Stanwell’s operations supply electricity to help satisfy the demand for energy from industrial, commercial and residential users in Queensland and other Australian states served by the National Electricity Market.
In June 2009 Stanwell issued tender documents seeking proposals to implement a Plant Information Management System (PIMS) Solution to collect data from the SCADA systems at each of the Stanwell generation sites and make the data easily available to users from Stanwell’s corporate offices in Brisbane and Rockhampton as well as users located at the power stations.
PSC Australia was awarded the contract to provide system integration services to Stanwell to implement PIMS using the OSIsoft PI System® 2010 product suite. The PIMS development was a collaborative effort with a core project team of Stanwell’s plant and control system experts and PSC’s PI System developers backed up by the OSIsoft Technical Services team.
PIMS was implemented in a high availability (PI-HA) configuration with the PI server collective being located across two geographically separate data centres. At each power station there is a redundant interface node pair connecting to the power station plant control system.
In addition to the core PI server historical repository and interfaces for data acquisition, PIMS provides a high level remote control and alarm interface for Stanwell energy traders, configurable alerting for any PIMS users, web based information displays, integration with corporate IT applications and support for engineering users involved in plant performance and planning investigations.
The PI licenses deployed for PIMS included:
- PI 2010 HA server with PI-ACE, AF and Notifications
- PI Server Access providing Web Services and OLE-DB interfacing to enterprise applications
- PI RDBMS interface allowing PIMS to directly read and write to external databases
- PI Teleperm interface
- PI Citect interface
- PI OPC-DA interface
- PI Manual Logger
- PI WebParts
- PI ActiveView
- PI DataLink
- PI ProcessBook
- PI servers and interface nodes are hosted in VMWare ESX environments and the PI clients are accessed by users via Citrix XenApp
Services provided included:
- Detailed solution design
- Implementation and cutover planning
- PI System deployment
- PI System configuration
- Active Directory integration
- PI Asset Framework modelling
- Control system integration and testing in conjunction with Siemens and Citect
- Corporate application integration
- Display and report development with PI clients and Visual Studio
- Performance testing
- Historical data back filling
- System documentation